First WIP Wednesday of the year! I feel I should do a showcase of all the quilts I INTENDED to have finished in 2012. I seem to grind to a halt at quilting stage. But a) it was too hot to quilt and b) I was too hot to drag out all the WIPs and feel guilty over them. So I pulled out the QCA Bee blocks I received and pieced them together instead, using my small Bernette at the kitchen table where I could get a slight breeze from the evaporative air conditioning and stick my head in the fridge whenever it needed it.
It started off looking like this:
It involved A LOT of running backwards and forwards to my design wall at the other end of the house, and a LOT of sewing bits on and slashing them off, arranging and rearranging and but I finally have something to show for it. A full queen-size top in fact!
When I say a Queensize top, I mean it JUST covers the top of the mattress with no overhang, and I MUST have overhang, so there are borders to be added. It took a lot longer than I expected to get the spacing right – both in terms of spacing the blocks and making sure they weren’t TOO aligned or too dense in parts and ‘bald’ in others. But I think I’ve done it…
Please note, this is Scarlett’s first quiltshoot and I didn’t pose her! I did pose Melody but as you can see, Monster’s patience had worn thin.
I added some black bias binding after piecing to give a bit more random flow and might go back and add a piece or too more. You will have to wait and see what the borders look like (I’m dying to find out too!) but I DO know how I’m going to quilt this one, so hopefully it won’t languish in the WIP pile for long!
Thanks for visiting and thanks to Lee for hosting WIP Wednesday!