I seem to have lost my sew-jo lately. I wasn’t even tempted to look at fabric in the post-Christmas sales. That”s how bad it is. I have a room full of fabric that is mocking me. I walk into the sewing room and it seems to stick its tongue out and say “You’ll never be able to use us up so don’t even bother trying…”
The only thing to do when that ennui hits is to sew something small and finishable.
I ran across this tutorial on the Bernina blog. A small finish and an easy storage solution – what’s to lose?
There are some beautiful quilted designs on that post. But I didn’t want to put too much time or care into something that might not work out, so I grabbed some fabric that no longer grabs me and some cheap fusible wadding (instead of the recommended Soft n Stable which is hard to find and expensive in Australia) and came up with this.
I made a few modifications (as per usual) with varying degrees of success.
Firstly, the lighter weight fusible fabric. Not brilliant but it works without breaking the bank or depleting my precious supply of Soft n Stable.
Secondly, I used the bag-makers trick of putting the outer side and the lining right sides together and sewing around the top, then pulling the box right side out through a hole in the bottom of the lining. That was much more satisfactory than the ironing and pinning suggested. I’m not sure why the creator didn’t do that. Perhaps it is more feasible using the lighter weight batting.
Finally, I sewed up the corners to give it a more defined look which it definitely needed with the floppier batting.
It fits a heap of fat quarters in quite nicely and will look great on my shelf. I would definitely make more of these. It’s a simple, well written pattern with plenty of inspiration in the photos on the blog so worth taking a look!